Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Query Letter Out!

Well, it has been forever.  But I have been busy.  At the beginning of November, I sent out my finished (finished!) manuscript to five lovely friends, only one of whom has read any of it before.  They are busily reading, and I have already gotten some feedback!  Woohoo!

So, what the hell have I been doing in the meantime?  (Besides watching soaps, doing my nails, and eating bonbons when the nails are dry? Ha ha.)  I have been working on my query letter.  A query letter is a pitch to editors, agents, publishers, basically asking them to request my manuscript or a sample of it.  I am targeting literary agents right now.  I know from experience that trying to break into a closed world that I don't quite understand is difficult.  Hence, an agent.  I had a film agent, once upon a time, and she got me auditions I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.  Yes, assuming I get a literary agent, they will get 15% of whatever I earn, but it will be worth it.

Today, I sent out three query letters.  I have been working like a dog.... well, not like my dog, she just mostly lays around and sleeps.  But I have been working hard to perfect my query letter, even sending it to my writing coach several times for comments and suggestions.  It is my first impression, after all!  He gave me the seal of approval on Friday.  I am scared like you wouldn't believe, but the hardest one to send was the first one.  I am doing it via email (I LOVE when businesses are green!).  We will see what happens.  I fully expect some rejection, but I knew the first step would be the hardest.  I did pick three agencies who seem to represent similar types of works, I think.

I am crossing my fingers and toes and intestines.  (The latter is in knots!)

1 comment:

Heather V. said...

huh. Wow. So, this didn't go the way I thought it would. I expected several weeks, and then a form rejection or two, and then a fresh batch of queries sent out...

I GOT TWO FREAKING REQUESTS FOR MY MATERIAL TODAY!!!! Yay, me!!!

Not that I was prepared. Nope. Didn't have a document with the complete manuscript prepared. Nor had I written a synopsis of the book. I am shaking from exhaustion right now. Going to bed, to dream....