Monday, January 24, 2011

Short Story and Targeted Peer Review

This will be a short post. I have company coming tonight, and if I am free early enough, I would like to do some actual writing, instead of writing about writing.

I had a great meeting last week with a guy who coaches writers, and edits, and teaches writing classes. I got many good ideas out of that meeting, but the one that has resulted in an epiphany for me is the idea of submitting a short story excerpt for publication. This would give me feedback on the world I have created (and my writing), which will help when I jump into the mess of trying to publish.

I have been thinking and thinking about some part of my book to try to pull out, and let stand on its own feet. I was even contemplating bugging the Rhino, my sounding board guy... and then I figured it out. The through-line for this story is the conflict between Elena and General Madera, which begins because of Paulson, and the Chihuahua rebellion. I know what happened, and I have revealed parts of it as particular characters learn more about it. THIS IS IT!!

So, after I finish the conclusion of this novel, I get to write a prologue, of sorts. The real story of the Chihuahuan rebellion, and what really happened between Elena and Paulson. This will work all on its own, it will sell the world I have created, and it will force me to tie up all that loose information that has been floating across TWO novels...

I am not even a little bit excited about this, yup, not at all.... (jumping up and down like a crazy woman)

For those of you who don't know what the hell I am talking about, well, let me know, and I will send you the whole damn work in a few weeks. Cuz, that is the next thing I was advised to do. Another round of peer reviews, but a targeted one. As in "Do the male characters seem realistic to you?" and several other questions. I have already done one round of peer reviews, but I need more... Volunteers?

I love writing right now. (big goofy sigh)

1 comment:

DM said...

cool! Well, you've probably had enough feedback from me, but if you want I'll read whatever you got.